I-131 THYROID THERAPY
Radioactive I-131 therapy for overactive thyroid gland is a treatment in which radioactive iodine in an oral form is given to patients with overactive thyroid glands. It is used decrease the amount of hormones produced by your thyroid gland. It is an alternative to surgery and medical therapy and represents an elegant treatment in which the radioactive decay is organ-specific, with minimal exposure to the remainder of the body.
- On the day of your exam, please go directly to the 3310 Richmond location. Please be sure to bring the signed order from your physician requesting the examination, and your insurance cards as well.
- Discontinue all thyroid medications prior to treatment (your physician may prescribe a beta blocker; you should continue to take this medicine).
- Prior to your exam, you will be asked to sign an informed consent form.
- The radiologist will discuss the procedure with you in detail.
- You will be asked to swallow a single capsule containing radioactive iodine. The technologist will confirm that the capsule has passed into your stomach.
- If you have an infant or toddler at home, you will be asked to get childcare assistance.
- After the treatment, a report will be delivered to your physician, generally within 24 hours.The full effects of the treatment may be expected in 8 -12 weeks.
- Please contact your physician so that reassessment of thyroid function may be performed.